16.2.09

Food and visitors

This will blow a couple peoples’ minds now that I posted on my blog so quickly…I am branching out a bit!

This past weekend we attended a Valentine’s progressive dessert event with some friends. It was delicious. The person that was organizing the event asked if I could make a chocolate dessert. I have learned how to make a good flourless chocolate cake recently…so I agreed to make it. To make it even richer I told her I would put chocolate mousse on top. Those that know me, know that I go to great lengths to make something good and from scratch. I have never made chocolate mousse from scratch before but thought this would be a great opportunity. The cakes turned out great. I made the chocolate mousse and IT WORKED! I was so surprised and tickled that it turned out.

I placed a small piece of cake in cups with a spoonful of mousse and whipped cream for presentation. I had many great comments on the taste and texture. We took the left-over cups to our neighbors and friends. It was a satisfying experience. Sometimes (I wish) that I could just cook for my vocation! I guess if I did that it may not be as satisfying….who knows. I heart cooking!!!

Rachel and I had a good weekend. We attended the chocolate night and then went out and had a great lunch together on Saturday (we chose lunch, because restaurants at night on V-Day would be horrific!). We exchanged small gifts, the kids were reasonable…do I need to knock on wood now!?

Rachel called her parents and spoke with her father. Each of the children took their turn to speak with their grandpa. I think the children enjoyed it? These are the grandparents they rarely get to see. They live in Idaho, we live in Kansas. They DO NOT travel. So the only way our children see Rachel’s side of the family is if we go to Idaho, unfortunately but true. It is so hard to get 8 people to Idaho often on a limited budget. Rachel’s family it very giving and loving, but they do not travel long distances often. Rachel desires for our children to know them better, we need to find a way for that to happen.

My family travels all over. We have someone stopping by our house every season. It helps that we are in a historical place where people come to visit for various reasons. Plus our children get to interact with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins from my side all the time. My parents stopped by for a brief visit a couple of weeks ago. I think when those type of visits happen, Rachel’s yearning for her parents heightens. We will see how we can remedy this need in the future.

1 comment:

Adriana said...

Do they have a computer? Skype works really well if they have a computer and it is pretty easy to hook up too. I am glad that you and Rachel had a good weekend. (Shocked that you are on a roll w/your blogging but loving it!)