31.10.08

The rest of the year…

So as a father who feels overly responsible for things…these next couple months are going to be hard to get through. I want my children to have everything that I was not able to have or experience. My mind immediately goes to the monetary things in life. I didn’t have this, or that…and I want my children to have this or that. Then I look at other children that have everything and I think, “What spoiled BRATS.” I think my children get the things they need, certainly not everything they want. We have frank conversations about needs and wants all of the time. I hope this does not have a “negative” outcome for them. Since I went without quite a bit, I think I want more. That need is hard to temper. I know I am where I need to be professionally, that has been confirmed to be many times. My desires for my children never go away because of the imprint left on me when I was young.

I believe this constant need that people have is wreaking havoc on our society right now. We all are over indulgent. I work in a place where I see this over indulgence too often. Students coming to school in higher education expect the same life style they had when living with their parents. These erroneous expectations cause friction between frugality and extravagance with these youth. It promotes invincibility and potentially all of the ills of society. We are not held accountable for our actions and expect someone to get us out of trouble (I am sounding Republican-esque…EEEEK, this is not meant to offend, this is only my internal speak).

I guess thinking on my desires for my children…I am on track with my deepest beliefs. I should not be conflicted when I want them to have more, but am unable or unwilling to give them everything. That solves the problem on a very small level. How can I make a difference in a larger degree? My time and energy are finite (dedicated spouse, 6 children, job 40 hours+, service to church and community) with an infinite problem (globally). I guess my desires will dictate how far I can take this global need. I need more hours in the day and more sleep!

1 comment:

MZ said...

I agree that you need more sleep, so get more sleep. You arrange and take care of lots of other stuff - the amount of sleep you get is under your control too.

Your kids will remember you and the time you spent with them. So spend time with them - maybe they could help you do some of your chores so you will have more time for them and for sleeping.

You are a great person just the way you are - and you will notice that I have not told you who or what to vote for.