28.10.08

Apathy and other annoyances...

Here I go again…

As we are going through the gyrations of an election this Fall I have noticed how down-right negative things have gotten. I am not blaming one or the other of Presidential Candidates, but they are accusatory, demeaning, and dirty at times. I get tired of hearing about this and I get disenfranchised from the process. I would actually love to get involved in politics, but if this is what I would have to endure…forget it!

On to the next subject…

I am generally done with apathy! I belong to a couple service organizations and I cannot get over how some people just don’t care. Then I don’t really wonder why some of the students that come to our campus have this attitude. Some do not have focus, goals, aspirations or plans for the future. This just baffles me. My generation (and some late baby boomers) are raising the next generation. Sometimes I am hopeful, but other times I am thoroughly discouraged.

I grew up where I had to fend for myself and no one was there to help me pick up the pieces. This was my responsibility and it gave me my individuality. I hope my children can learn to work and decide on things in an autonomous manner. I only worry about one child…you guessed it…my daughter. Sometimes I think it is the woman in her, but I shouldn’t make such gross generalities. She can be the most focused and determined individual in our family, yet the most undecided. Sometimes I just throw up my arms in exasperation (I should not try to understand the XX chromosomes).

I still want that book on raising children. I still cannot get over how sugar impacted my church experience on Sunday. Isaac is a great kid, but sugar made him morph into a holy terror. I had a couple of people comment after our service, “Man he is a hand full” “He has a lot of energy”! He is just hopped up on sugar. Oh yeah, we get to go trick or treating again this Friday. I am REALLY looking forward to that.

Some days I think that my 16 year old is too moody, then I remember back to my time at that age and count my blessings! I do love my children and they add so much to my life. My children do care about things generally and are not caught in the apathy game. I guess that is the best I can do right now to combat my anti-apathy campaign. I wonder if I can start throwing dirt in this campaign? :)

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Isn't it disgusting the way those campaigns are handled? Everyone claims to be above that sort of nastiness, and then they act all stupid! It's ridiculous. I think you would make a fabulous politician. I would definitely vote for you. Well, if I lived in Kansas. And if I were a U.S citizen. You get my drift... :)